Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday - steaming, but not because of the weather...


Two years ago today, I was one day removed from my son graduating from Flagler College in St Augustine, FL. It was an incredible weekend but seems like forever ago. 24 years ago today I was at the Pasadena, Texas Strawberry Festival - and not feeling too chipper. Little did I know that as of midnight that night I would be in labor and my son be born at 1:20 a.m. Spent much of the time between midnight and 1 a.m. getting up and out to the midwife's house. By 8 a.m., on April 25 we had already stopped at Kroger to buy diapers and were home in our rent house. My son was a couple of weeks early and I guess I thought I could wait a bit longer to get everything set up... April 24 was a Sunday, April 25 was a Monday and I was back in the office (with the baby) on Thursday to make sure the payroll was out and in the emergency room on Friday night with a jaundice baby. I don't think the hospital people knew what to do first - sedate me or take care of the baby. I had not done my anger management "work" at that point in my life... I took my son by where the midwife's house was in Bellaire TX when we were both back there a few years back, but it had become a crack house type operation. So much for nostalgia. This coming weekend with my son should be a bit more tranquil in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
I am sick about David Halberstam - I can hear his voice as I write this - smart, handsome and incredible writer and speaker. And of course I appreciate people who can be smart about real world issues AND sports.
David Halberstam, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and tireless author of books on topics as varied as America’s military failings in Vietnam, the deaths of firefighters at the World Trade Center and the high-pressure world of professional basketball, was killed yesterday in a car crash south of San Francisco. He was 73, and lived in Manhattan.
Still fighting with when - and if - to go to St Lucia. Why do I fight with vacations like I do? I will talk it out this weekend.
Have a great Tuesday. I am steaming about an issue at work...I am trying to "formulate" an appropriate response.

No comments: