Monday, July 02, 2007

Quiet Sunday


After Saturday, Sunday was destined to be tame. I took it easy in the a.m. – obviously writing for a good chunk of the morning. It was a beautiful weather day, not hot enough to drive me to our town pool as I thought about in the a.m. Didn't really pay attention to the talking head shows except Chris Matthews.

Went into my parents’ to do wash, pick up the bagels my brother had left for me, and read newspapers, magazines and some of my latest book – The Book of Secrets by Deepak Chopra – I am loving it. Grocery shopping was a small event on the way home since the dining hall is back open for the summer campers. Then a good walk – the weather is hard to believe for July…I know we will be back to HHH soon, but I am enjoying this to the max.

As I promised – another quote from Bird by Bird – the author was having a conversation with her best friend who was in her final days of fighting a battle with cancer. This was the author’s admonition to her readers. Have I told you I love Anne Lamott books?! I need to get some of her non-fiction.

“And I don’t think you have that kind of time either. I don’t think you have time to waste not writing because you are afraid you won’t be good enough at it, and I don’t think you have time to waste on someone who does not respond to you with kindness and respect. You don’t want to spend your time around people who make you hold your breath. You can’t fill up when you’re holding your breath. And writing is about filling up, filling up when you are empty, letting images and ideas and smells run down like water – just as writing is also about dealing with the emptiness. The emptiness destroys enough writers without the help of some friend or spouse.”

The balance of the day I watched my Sunday Q&A show – interview of the Librarian (20 year tenure) of the Library of Congress. I will have to add that to my next DC trip. Yesterday’s other news “news” focused on “our” Supreme Court and the 2008 Campaign. I am a bit put off – once again – about the money aspect of the campaigning…just does not make sense for me. Also watched some of an interview with Tommy Thompson, the story about his daughter’s miracle baby still moves me. The other news that got my attention is the weather – flooding and fires. I am flashing back to The Inconvenient Truth…

I have my academic year calendar ready to go. Today is the first day of the 2007-08 year at work. I will be curious myself to see what I do everyday and the range of my activity. It is also the first day of my schedule change – switching to a morning walk with my co-worker rather than during the work day…she wants to go longer – 3 miles at least - and we are planning ahead for hotter weather. So I am moving up my writing time a bit to make sure I get all my morning activities in before I leave for work. It has been awhile since I have done morning exercise, so I will see how that feels. But, with that said, I better get going. I am glad this is a 4 day work week for me!

Have a good, celebratory 4th of July week.

No comments: