Thursday, July 12, 2007

Is it Friday yet?

Jimmy V and Lady Bird got my attention yesterday. I wanted to bid on the auction items on ESPN yesterday, but they were all in the thousands of $’s – I would have killed for the Mike and Mike in the Morning experience. But I would have HAD to kill to get the money to up the bid from where it was at 7 a.m. yesterday. Oh well. As to Lady Bird, it brought back lots of memories of the 60’s and 70’s yesterday as they talked about her life and times. That was a very tumultuous time and LBJ was a key player. Very interesting clip from interviews with Lady Bird and her daughters on the News Hour last night. I started crying when they told about the day LBJ said he would not run which was the same day his older daughter watched her husband, Chuck Robb, leave for Vietnam…I remember seeing that LBJ speech. Where are the girls today? I have heard Chuck Robb on CSPAN, but not the girls. I also have a history with Lady Bird’s park in the Hill Country of Texas. One of my hall residents – when I was Hall Director at a girls’ dorm at SW Texas State (it now has a new name) in San Marcos, TX – got married there. My memory of the wedding event is “a bit” fogged by the fact that the potato salad I ate at the barbeque reception MAY have been sitting out a bit too long and I was sick the entire ride home…but back to Lady Bird. Lady Bird was ahead of her time on so many fronts and was a great political wife – old school type.

Not only was I sad about my Mike and Mike non-bid, but they played the Jimmy V speech on my ride home last night. I was crying. I remember seeing that speech too. He was incredible. I have also heard Coach K speak about those last days of Jim Valvano’s life. No matter what you think about Coach K on sports levels, he was a great friend.

Last night I went for a quick walk on campus, came home and paid my taxes, ran into my neighbor and her daughter, then off to the town pool just in time to avoid the downpour. Much less HHH today! I am thinking I will make some cookies tonight – one batch for the family event this weekend, another for my neighbor and her daughter to take to their beach house when they start their vacation on Saturday.

No comments: