Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th…not my favorite day, but my daily cosmic guidance:

July 13, 2007 -- You need to be gentler with yourself, and you can start by not worrying. You should know by now that most of your worries be they emotional, financial or professional, never really amount to anything, so why waste time and energy fearing the future? Would it not be wiser to live for the day?
I guess I will use advice for the family party tomorrow and my trip to NYC next Tuesday. Logistics, expenses, etc… it is true that most of my “thinking” never does amount to anything, but it is a bit of a battle most days to reign in my mind from where it “naturally” wants to go. The most succinct example of late is my son’s communication lapse with his mother and the “journey” I went on with that thought process – reality had NO part of my process.

Yesterday I heard from sister #4 about lobsters, sister #1 about my October travel plans and this weekend’s events, sister #3 about this weekend’s events…I am a weak link in the social planning chain – the downside of having me be “the local” sibling that people communicate with to see what is going on…It will all come together but mostly from my NOT taking or thinking I have any control. But I did make cookies and brownies last night. I will head into my parents after work today to see what is up. Sister #1 and her daughter should be there by this afternoon.

Lots of war talk last night from Congress and the President last night on CSPAN. Bush joking in the new Press Room did not make me feel too good about where we go from here. But then the record setting stock market news will make it hard to get the “important” people’s attention.

Besides cookies, I took a dip last night at the pool. If I was not so antsy, I would have stayed at the pool area for the Thursday night town concert event. Next Thursday I need to remember that is going on. I am going to miss the beach this weekend, but I am sure that the family weekend will be “thought provoking”.

I am looking at Bird by Bird to help me get some big picture thinking? This passage from the end of the book has my head shaking for sure.

““So why does our writing matter, again?” they ask.”
“Because of the spirit, I say. Because of the heart. Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen and expand our sense of life: they feed our soul. When writers make us shake our heads with the exactness of their prose and their truths, and even make us laugh about ourselves or life, or buoyancy is restored. We are given a shot at dancing with, or at least clapping along with, the absurdity of life, instead of being squashed by it over and over again. It’s like singing on a boat during a terrible storm at sea. You can’t stop the raging storm, but singing can change the hearts and spirits of the people who are together on that ship.”

That is a good thought to end with. Have a great Friday and weekend.

No comments: