Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ana, Rod, WWE, ATT


Picture noting the passing of Rod Beck - I remember him more from his time with Chicago than San Francisco. But he was like a figure from those Major League baseball movies. Long hair flying in the wind, his pitches keeping the batters guessing. I wonder what took him so young? Also, the WWE news of the wrestler, his wife and son who were found dead in their home.
On a completely different topic, I went to the U of H Guitar Festival concert on Monday night. Ana Vidovic was incredible. I think I will have to go back for more.
Monday, June 25 - Ana Vidovic and the Goldspiel-Provost Classical Guitar Duo - A true musical prodigy, Ana Vidovic began studying guitar at the age of five and at 13 was the youngest student in the history of the Musical Academy of Zagreb in her native Croatia. Ten years later, she has released five highly acclaimed CDs while winning an impressive roster of international awards. She is continuing to hone her skills at the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore under the direction of renowned guitarist Manuel Barrueco. Accolades the press has offered to describe the Goldspiel-Provost Classical Guitar Duo include “outstanding,” “thrilling,” and “charismatic.” Their concerts of original and transcribed works for two guitars reach back to the Baroque and point to the future with cutting-edge works by modern composers. The duo’s program will feature fiery Argentinean tangos, jazz-influenced contemporary compositions, and transcriptions of Spain’s turn-of-the-century piano masterworks transcribed for two guitars. Richard Provost, professor of guitar at The Hartt School, and Alan Goldspiel, both renowned as performers and educators, joined forces in 1988 to promote new guitar duo music. Among their world premiers are works by Charles Griffin and Edward Diemente, Hartt professor emeritus. Wednesday, June 27 Mayse Classical Guitar Duo - The Mayse Classical Guitar Duo brings together a wealth of experience as soloists and members of respected ensembles. This versatile duo plays diverse styles on a wide variety of instruments including classical guitar, terz guitar, 19th century guitar, renaissance lute, archlute, and the Neapolitan mandolin. Thursday, June 28 William Yelverton - William Yelverton has won prizes in the Guitar Foundation of America International Competition and the National Federation of Music Clubs Competition. Since his 1988 European debut in Glasgow, Yelverton has performed in music festivals, as a concerto soloist and with orchestras throughout the United States, Europe, Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean. With the Nashville Symphony, he accompanied legendary tenor Luciano Pavarotti before an audience of 16,000. Friday, June 29 Festival Finale Concert - The concert series will draw to a close with a rousing performance featuring students and instructors.
I worked against myself yesterday when the dining hall opened on Monday. Instead of my standard salad, I went right to the chicken parm sandwich and bowtie pasta. I will show more restraint today!!! It was also a bit of "Honey, I Shrank the Kids" in the cafeteria with the campers versus students and BOYS! Lacrosse camp shook up our usual all female demographics. I also pushed a bit too much on walking before I headed to the concert. I am thinking tonight, I might head to my brother's or the town pool. We are supposed to have 2 day heat over 90 degrees. We will see what leads me where.
It was interesting when my cellphone showed ATT rather than Cingular. My son is kicking himself for letting all that BellSouth stock go. My ex-husband did not pay me any child support when he left, but he did buy a certain amount of his company stock in our son's name every month until he turned 18. It was stagnant for a long time but now it has gone through an ATT buyout, then ATT buys Cingular... I think he might have had a bigger nest egg now but he needed the money to pay the bills.
I think I will be passing on Neville Brothers this Thursday. It feels like an event that I don't want to go it alone. There are things that are no problem for me to do alone, but others lose their fun when done alone.
No signal from my son yet. I keep thinking though that when I was 24, there were VERY long stretches when my parents would not know what I was up to. And I do feel that he would reach out if he got up against something. And there have been longer stretches where I have not heard from him. I just don't know why this one is hitting me so hard. It is probably my life rather than his that take me down this road. I have invoked the "Don't borrow sorrow from tomorrow" saying many times of late.
In the "stupid human tricks" category - the dry cleaning lawsuit...people and money are bad companions sometime.
I wish I was on the 3 day work week this week...oh well. Have a good Tuesday.

No comments: