Thursday, June 14, 2007

Beach Day plus


"The white, sandy beach at Hammonasset State Park in Madison is the place to head when it's hot and humid in Connecticut. " Guess you can tell where I spent the day on Wednesday. It was great. Not hot or humid so spending from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the beach totally worked for walking and reading an entire book -Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott. I also had a "nature's pedicure". Nothing like walking on the beach and soaking my feet in the saltwater to condition my feet. Also a quick break for clam strips and french fries for a late lunch from Fish Tales and a Chocolate Almond Chip ice cream cone at Hall Mark Ice Cream ("since 1909") in Old Lyme CT on my way home. The clam strip thing was big as I had an allergic reaction to eating shrimp 15+ years ago and have been hesitant to eat shellfish since then but I thought in my present mode, I would test my limits food wise too. "When in Rome" or "at Fish Tales" type thinking Not smart when I was at times the only person on the beach yesterday if I had had a reaction...but I am here to report that all is well.

A Bit of History: Hammonasset Beach State Park is named for the Hammonasset tribe of eastern woodland Indians, one of five tribes that inhabited the shoreline area of Connecticut. The Indian word "Hammonasset" means "where we dig holes in the ground," a reference to the tribe's agricultural way of life.
In 1919, the Connecticut Park and Forest Commission began to acquire the lands that would comprise Hammonasset State Park. By the end of the year, 565 acres had been purchased at a cost of $130,960. On July 18, 1920, the park opened to the public. About 75,000 people visited the park during its first year.
The park nearly doubled in size in 1923 with the acquisition of an additional 339 acres.
During World War II, Hammonasset served as an army reservation and aircraft firing range and was closed to the public. It reopened to beach lovers after the war and quickly began to break attendance records.
Today, Hammonasset is particularly crowded on summer weekends, but you can always find a spot to spread your blanket and soak up the sun. On mild days in the off-season, it is a great place for a quiet, reflective walk by the sea.
I can attest to that last line!!!
Today is movie day - as my day looks right now. And NYC/Brooklyn tomorrow. Day trip is turning into an overnight. Going to a show at BAX on Friday night, then I will head home on Saturday. Sunday is Father's Day and then Monday - I am considering another trip to the beach at this point in time.
I did get a bit of a jolt back to reality last night when I checked my mailbox and found a certified mail notice slip. Certified mail is hard to be happy and joyous about, but maybe that is why I read a book about "some thoughts on faith" yesterday.
The Brooklyn Bridge walking has turned into a mini-event. Niece #2 and sister #3's partner will be meeting me on the Manhattan side to make the walk with me.
I also checked another thing off my list of to-do's yesterday - I got my Conan O'Brien tickets for July 17. My son and I went each year for many years when we were in NC, and the last couple of years - he went with friends one year, I went with friends the next - I am hoping this year we get to go together. Whoever goes - it is always good for many stories.
None of my re-plants have died!!! I am so excited. They all do look healthier. Maybe I need a new pot? Not good to think about when I have to renew my lease by July 1...but I think I will stay another year. Maybe I will just "put in some fresh dirt" in my apartment. The Feng Shui guy got me thinking about what I am attracting by what I am doing...
Got to listen to sports radio on the way to the beach - Jr, no hitter - good news. And I loved the guy on 660 who said in his opening - "if you are a Yankee Fan, call 888-888-8888" (or whatever the radio call in number is) "and if you are a Mets fan, call 911" I also was reminded about the no hitter game I was at with my 3 yr old son and my now ex-husband. I think I was standing from inning 5 forward. It was electric. Bad uniforms and all. As to NASCAR - JJ, Jeff and Jr all on the same racing team? As the sports guy said - the Yankees of NASCAR. Of course TS is still "the man" in my mind. As I got my beach chair out of my trunk yesterday, I saw my life size poster of TS (of course with his height, not a tall poster - a bit wide perhaps...) I used to have it up in my office in NC...I don't see it on my wall in CT, but maybe when I have some more time in.
by Ivy McLemore, Houston Post, Sept. 26, 1986 For those who were touched by one of sport's golden moments, there simply was no better way for the Houston Astros to complete plans for baseball's upcoming Silver Anniversary Series. In a division-clinching effort that caused a wave of emotion, righthander Mike Scott, 31, pitched a no-hitter Thursday in a 2-0 victory over the San Francisco Giants that gave the Astros the National League West title.
Just talked to the 1st Selectman - I will be going on the town web site to get the application for board work. See what is open and where they will accept a registered Democrat.
What a vacation. And I have 6 more days before back to work!!!

No comments: