Friday, June 29, 2007

Couldn't find a picture of Wes Anderson on Flickr, but I was very excited to hear of his continued success. I worked with his mom in my Texas Life.

- The New York Film Festival will open with Wes Anderson's ``The Darjeeling Limited'' and honor the Coen brothers' ``No Country for Old Men'' as its centerpiece in a particularly American slate for the internationally minded festival. The Film Society of Lincoln Center, which produces the festival, announced the opening and centerpiece films Thursday, but not the closing movie. The 45th annual festival runs from Sept. 28 to Oct. 14. ``The Darjeeling Limited'' is the third film by Anderson to be screened at the festival. His ``Rushmore'' (1998) and ``The Royal Tenenbaums'' (2001) were also shown. Starring Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman, ``The Darjeeling Limited'' is a comedy about three brothers traveling through India. It's the third time two American films have been the opening-night and centerpiece films at the festival since 1995, when the centerpiece showcases began. Unlike most film festivals, the New York Film Festival doesn't give awards, but showcases a very select group of movies. This year's festival will be held at the Frederick P. Rose Hall in the Time Warner Center due to ongoing renovations at Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall.

Another film note, Evening out this weekend - maybe a Sunday matinee will be in order this weekend. Not as profound as Wes Anderson's work, but I think it is going to get me to the movie theater.

As to the picture, the Chicago Bulls took Joakim Noah as their first draft pick, and "#51, Second Round Chicago Bulls (from Denver) JamesOn Curry, Guard, Oklahoma State". I will have to keep an eye on that to see how things go, but then I will be looking for the Chicago Bulls schedule to see where I want to go see a game. I don't know if Jameson will like the weather or the big city, but I was very happy to see he was drafted. Maybe my sports' travel will be Midwest focused - St Louis and Chicago. But I think I will be looking for SOUTHERN opponents for the Bulls - and hope for Houston.

Another North Carolina sports connection was Orioles' Brian Roberts did damage against the Yankees last night. But the list of people who have done damage against the Yankees of late is a long one...

I had another active dream night, but I can't remember the details. I really need to track "activity" to see what the triggers are for active or quiet dream nights?

One thing I know it is NOT is knowing where my son is. He called me last night and I had another life lesson learned. He has been back in the city for a week. His trip was fine, his life is fine...so why did I feel it appropriate to make his comings and goings a source of anxiety for me. I truly appreciate how he keeps me on the right track! I told him about the Conan O'Brien tickets and family dinner plans after. That should work for him.

Got the flyer for the "Lobster Loop" run in town in August. Guess that means the town's Lobster Festival will be the weekend of August 19. We had 4 of six siblings run/walk last year. I will have to put the word out with the date to see if anyone is interested this year.

The BEST of all the nights for the U of H guitar festival last night - NOT as good as the Neville Brothers woudl have been...but great nonetheless. William Yelverton! He is "currently director of the nationally recognized guitar program at Middle Tennessee State University". He was incredible. I am in awe of musically talented people, but as you can see - film, sports, politics - I am in awe of people who are out their with their talent. Three pieces that "got me" particularly last night - Remembrance, Farewell, and a second piece Farewell - by Sergio Assad and John Doan. I almost started crying.

Good walk during the work day yesterday. My walking co-worker is on vacation, but she wanted to walk. Learned about more campus drama...It is going to be a very interesting summer and fall.

Trying to decide about beach or no beach this Saturday. I have some reading I want to do and I need another "nature's pedicure". We will see. I am also trying to decide what to do on 7/7/07 - seems to be a marker date on many levels. Looking at one Monique and the Mango Rains event in Vermont. Another "we will see".

Happy Friday! I made it through my full post vacation work week. Split week next week, so I should be OK.

No comments: