Sunday, September 02, 2007

Football upset, good book reading

After I wrote yesterday, I finally got dressed and went to buy flowers for my mother's birthday. Thought I would get them in early in the day so they would be all fixed by the time my brother and his family and I came in for cake at 6 p.m. I stopped at Old Navy and Kohl's on the way also - I may be one pair of Old Navy flip flops short of making it through the good weather and I know I am one pair short of walking shorts. Old Navy and Kohl's came up empty, but on my parents' suggestion I stopped at Marshall's and got a pair of Columbia sportswear brand shorts for $10. I will piece together the flip flop thing - maybe having to mix and max pairs since I am a bit harder on the left foot than the right...but the shorts are a hit.

When I got home from shopping and delivering flowers, and discovered that the town pool did not open back up for the Labor Day Weekend, so I came home and thought I would read for a minute and the next thing I knew I was 10 pages short of finishing I am David! What a great book. I think it is a staple in high school reading and what a great book to discuss with a younger audience. So many themes to discuss. I can't wait until our Book Club meets.

I stopped reading when my brother called and said that they were headed in mother's so I took my book with me and headed out. My brother bought a great Carvel cake. I can't remember the last time I had an ice cream cake. We visited from 6-8 (a late night for the parents) then I headed home, finished my book and watched a bit of the Book discussion on CSPAN - Michael Duffy's Presidents and the Preacher book - very interesting.

Mixed news on the football front - Bad for Michigan, NC State & ND; Good news for App State, UNC, TX A&M, UCONN, Hawaii. Good news for the Yankees.

Going to church with the parents today, then they will go off to their friends' 50th wedding anniversary party. I need to get some exercise in. I have not had a long weekend in awhile, so I am looking forward to tomorrow. May have to get a swim in at my brother's pool. I may also check my voicemail as I just realized that my phone number went out to thousands of people...as the rsvp line for a collaborative town-school event...I don't know how much it takes to fill up the box.

Have a good extra day off if that is working for you.

No comments: